Saturday, January 7, 2012

savory sides


I wanted to share with you the yummy savory side dishes that complemented my mammoth holiday rib roast. These Green Onion-Parmesan Popovers were an Epicurious-recommended side dish. They paired so nicely with the roast that I've made them each time I've cooked this meal. Cheesy and crispy on the outside, but fluffy and gooey on the inside, they were great on their own, but perfect for mopping up sauce. I needed an easy veggie side to pair with all of that meat, so I made up a little asparagus dish with ingredients on hand. I'm still salivating over this meal (obviously, since it warranted two posts), and can't possibly recommend it enough.


Bacon Shallot Asparagus

1 large handful fresh asparagus
1-2 slices of bacon, chopped
1/2 shallot
1 T. olive oil

Bring a pot of water to boil, add asparagus, and cook for approximately 6 minutes. Blanch in a bowl of heavily iced water. 

Saute bacon in pan over medium heat until desired crispness. Add olive oil and shallots, cook until shallots are soft and lightly browned. Add asparagus to pan and stir to coat. Cook until asparagus are reheated throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment