Monday, January 30, 2012

herb-crusted salmon & roasted fingerling potatoes with chive pesto


Growing up, I had a well-known and extremely adamant hatred of potatoes... except for the fried ones; french fries, chips, tots, and the like were naturally OK with me. However, I recently made a decision that I truly believe most people can make with most foods: I decided to make myself like them, and I did. Seeing all of the colorful fingerling potatoes at the store prompted me to look up a recipe to make use of them, and I settled on Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Chive Pesto. I'm very happy I did. The potatoes were crispy on the outside, but soft on the inside; the chive pesto was refreshing and full of flavor. I chose salmon to pair with the side, and concocted a very simple recipe to complement the flavors. The overall dish was somehow both hearty and light, and both Adam and I licked our plates clean. Literally.






Herb-Crusted Salmon
Serves 2, measurements are approximate

Two 6 oz. salmon fillets
1 T. Dijon mustard
1/4 c. Panko bread crumbs
1 t. herbs de Provence
Pinch of salt and pepper
1 T. EVOO, divided

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly coat baking sheet with 1/2 T. oil.

Heat remaining oil in small saute pan over medium heat. Add bread crumbs, herbs, salt and pepper; cook until lightly golden.

Meanwhile, spread Dijon mustard evenly over fillets. Press bread crumb mixture over mustard.

Bake for 11-12 minutes or until salmon is opaque and flakes easily.



Changes to Chive Pesto:  I added 1/4 c. of shaved Parmesan, used pine nuts, and omitted the water from the recipe.

2 comments: