Sunday, June 19, 2011

gilded nails


I am really bad with painting my nails. Not bad at the actual painting, but it's the maintaining that gets me. If you know me, you're used to seeing me with nails that look more like camo than painted, with giant spots of missing polish aplenty. I've been trying to get inspired to find interesting looks that I'll want to maintain, and I think this one from The Look for Less is a contender. I love how they look like sparkly bird's eggs (or is that just me?). Plus, the necessity of 2 different coats will force me to protect them with a top coat. To copy this look, follow below.


Start with a generous coating (or two) of Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Polish in Petal Pusher. Though I'm sure any nude color will work just fine. Follow with a single coat of gold glitter polish. The one used in the photo is Boom Boom Pow by Deborah Lippman; however, that will cost you a whopping $20. This polish was developed specifically for the fabulous Kate Moss during a photo shoot where she was naked and draped in golden jewelry. I'm not exactly that decadent, so I found an equally cool option from Sephora called Only Gold For Me Top Coat that I'm sure will be just...golden (yep, I went there).


Gold seems to be one of the latest trends for your pretty little digits, so I've included scoured one-step polish options to get a similar sparkly gilded look.

Deborah Lippman Nefertiti, Photo c/o Vampy Varnish
 
Butter London All Hail McQueen, a slightly more taupe version; Photo c/o All Lacquered Up

Sally Hansen Nail Strips: they didn't work for me, but everyone else seems to find them successful. Photo via A Cup of Jo.

4 comments:

  1. the first ones are awesome!! love them!!

    kisses <3

    caramellitsa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the deborah lippman polish!

    Xo, Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's kind of funny, but I just polished my nails in a nude shade and added the sparkly top coat (from Sephora) like yours in the first photo. Except I didn't get gold, but the copper sparkles. LOVE IT!

    xo,
    Cortnie
    http://stylelustpages.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, they are so pretty!! I love how they sparkle!
    I think I might try this, too...

    ReplyDelete