Sunday, June 12, 2011

coconut shrimp


Gingersnaps' appetizer section is sorely lacking; this is odd, because appetizers are by far my favorite course. On most nights, however, making appetizers for just Adam and I seems a little over the top. I've found another recipe that fakes my beloved fried food with oven-baking. This recipe was crazy easy. I remember reading once that whipping the egg whites is the key to fluffy Asian-style batter so don't skip that step, and the result will be great. Next time, though, I'll dilute the coconut with some Panko, as the intense flavor was just a bit much for us. I also did not make the recipe's dipping sauce; instead I used the Tamarind Cashew Sauce from the Cheesecake Factory (copycat recipe below), since I already had extra from another entree this week (spoiler alert). It was a great appetizer, particularly for an Asian themed meal.



Tamarind-Cashew Dipping Sauce (Like Cheesecake Factory)

  1/4 c. chopped cashews
  2/3 c. chopped fresh cilantro
  2 cloves garlic, quartered
  2 green onions, chopped
  1 T. sugar
  1 tsp. black pepper
  1 tsp. cumin
  4 tsp. white vinegar
  1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
  1/2 tsp. tamarind pulp
  1/2 c. honey
  Pinch ground saffron
  1/4 c. olive oil

1 comment:

  1. Yum! These look great..I love that sauce at cheesecake factory so I'll have to try this one out.

    Xo, Kristin

    ReplyDelete