Saturday, July 30, 2011

spicy blackened tilapia with garlic roasted potatoes



After a few straight days of indescribable gluttony, I wanted to cook a nice, healthy and inexpensive dinner. I downloaded a new iPhone app that I really love: the Cooking Light menu maker. I like it because it allows you to select an entree from a wide range of choices, and it will create a suggested menu for you. Sometimes I don't know what sides to pair with fish, in particular. I wouldn't have thought of potatoes, but apparently that's a popular choice for more than classic fish and chips. I found the easiest imaginable recipe for tilapia (copied below from the app), and paired it with these crispy, garlicky potatoes and sauteed green beans. The tilapia was really nice and quite spicy, but the perfectly browned potatoes nearly stole the show. All in all this was a great weekday meal.






Spicy Blackened Tilapia

1 T. olive oil
Two 6 oz. tilapia fillets
1 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4. t. ground red pepper (I kicked it up with cayenne)
1/8 t. freshly ground black pepper
Cooking spray

Preheat broiler. Rub oil evenly over fish. Combine all spices and sprinkle over fish. Arrange fish on broiler pan coated with cooking spray and broil 5 minutes (or until fish flakes easily with a fork). That's it! You're done.

1 comment:

  1. O...M....G! I want this ummm...right now! Definitely have to try this. I love tilapia.

    xo,
    Cortnie
    http://stylelustpages.com

    ReplyDelete