Tuesday, July 5, 2011

sausage and pepper stromboli

I've always wanted to make calzones or strombolis, but for some reason just never got around to doing so. I'm not sure why, because they crazy easy and infinitely adaptable. I've seen many variations of this interesting braided crust, and while it's not necessary whatsoever, I think it looks pretty cool. You could fill the strombolis with literally anything, but I went with pretty classic pizza toppings of marinara, mozzarella, bell peppers, onions and hot Italian turkey sausage. Some other variations I'd like to try soon include BBQ chicken, buffalo chicken, and a Mediterranean version with feta. I didn't follow a recipe, but I've included my own instructions below.








Sausage and Pepper Stromboli
1 lb. store bought pizza dough
Marinara sauce (I used a fire roasted tomato and garlic variety)
4 links hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
Red onion, chopped
Green bell pepper, chopped
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Yellow cornmeal

1.  Lightly grease a cookie sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal.  Spread dough into a 10x15 inch rectangle, and make slices 1" apart 1/3 of the way toward the center of the rectangle on each side.

2. Cook crumbled sausage links in olive oil over medium heat until almost cooked through, add peppers and onions and cook until tender and sausage is browned throughout.

3. Spread sauce, sausage, peppers, onions and mozzarella cheese over the center of the dough. Fold dough by crisscrossing strips across the filling, and brush the outside of the dough with butter. I sprinkled mine with Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.  Slice and serve with heated marinara sauce, for dipping.


2 comments:

  1. Hey!! Check out my blog, I gave you two awards!!

    kisses

    stylemesteph

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, thank you so much! But 2nd of all, I hopped over to stylemesteph and I can't seem to find what you're mentioning? Perhaps I'm just delusional after a long day? haha. But either way thank you :)

    ReplyDelete