Wednesday, February 1, 2012

honey-chipotle crispy chicken salad


I can't possibly recount the number of college nights spent with my roommates over Chili's takeout. Some nights, when we were really ambitious, we'd even make it into the chain for a basket or five of chips and salsa with queso. I remember when they added Honey-Chipotle Chicken Crispers to their menu; fried chicken drenched in gooey sauce served over fries and corn on the cob? I mean, come on, it just had to be ordered time and time again. 

I have read many copycat recipes for this dish, so I decided to try my hand at turning it into a quick, easy and not terribly gluttonous meal. While the sauce wasn't an exact match, it was really delicious, and the perfect blend of sweet and spicy. Served over salad with corn, cheese, tortilla strips, tomatoes, and fat-free (see, I'm such a health nut) ranch dressing, it was a dinner salad I would absolutely make again.




Honey-Chipotle Crispy Chicken Salad
Serves 2

- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1.5 T. white wine vinegar
- 2 t. chipotle chile powder
- 3 precooked chicken tenders
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Frozen sweet corn kernels, thawed
- Tortilla strips
- Romaine lettuce, or iceberg if you like
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- Ranch salad dressing

1. Combine first four ingredients in saucepan over medium heat until boiling. Reduce heat to a simmer.

2. Add chicken tenders in saucepan with sauce, stir to coat, and cook until heated throughout. Slice chicken into bite-sized pieces.

3. Assemble remaining ingredients, and drizzle with Ranch dressing. Add cooked chicken to salad, and serve while chicken is hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment