Tuesday, February 7, 2012

roasted beet, goat cheese & pecan salad with honey-balsamic dressing


I'm a little bit sad that this year's Superbowl didn't inspire any gluttonous finger foods and tidbits to post about. Not only were my Steelers bruised and broken, but the entire city of Baltimore is still in a post-loss funk. These sad facts combined with weekend visitors meant opting for amazing multi-course meals at nice restaurants in lieu of homemade dips and snacks. I'm OK with that. So, I'll plod onward with my Valentine's Day dinner ideas: a Roasted Beet, Goat Cheese and Pecan Salad drizzled with a homemade Honey-Balsamic Dressing. I know I'm a complete nerd for cutting hearts out of beets, but come on, it's just so festive I can't help myself. The salad was supremely tasty yet simple, and I will be happy to make it over and over again.






Directions for Roasting Beets
- Choose the largest beets you can find
- Reserve roasting liquid from beets to add to dressing
- Slice approximately 1/8" thick, and cut with cookie cutters (or painstakingly with a knife like I did)

Assemble salad with Romaine lettuce, beet greens, sliced beets, goat cheese and pecans. Drizzle with Honey-Balsamic Dressing (adding in the roasting liquid from beets for color and flavor).

No comments:

Post a Comment