Saturday, June 2, 2012

white pizza with roasted garlic & truffle oil

While I love coming up with my own recipes or ideas for dinner, it rarely ends up happening. The reason being that I have over 1000 recipes bookmarked online that I have been dying to try, so there's always a list of must-make-soon dishes of which I barely ever even scrape the surface. I had some pizza dough that was teetering on it's expiration date (aka a little past it), so I wanted to whip up something cheap and easy to make use of the yummy Harry & David dough. I came up with this White Pizza with Roasted Garlic and Truffle Oil, and it was delicious. I've been working on ways to improve homemade pizza crust, and I think I've figured it out with this one. Check out the recipe below, which is loose on measurements, but infinitely adaptable to your tastes.



White Pizza with Roasted Garlic & Truffle Oil

1 lb. pizza dough (I used Harry & David's boxed mix)
1 head garlic
Olive oil (preferably of good quality)
White truffle oil
2 - 2.5 cups Italian mix shredded cheese, or mozzarella
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
3 t. fresh oregano, chopped
Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper

1. Follow steps for roasting garlic. Allow to cool, and squeeze out approximately 3 - 4 softened cloves of garlic into small bowl of olive oil (approx 1/4 cup) and muddle together. Add white truffle oil to taste. Truffle is a bit of an acquired taste, so taste as you go.

2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees (with pizza stone, if available). Sprinkle work surface with cornmeal or flour (I used cornmeal), and roll dough into one large or two small pizza crusts.

3. I have found the key to homemade pizza is in pre-baking the crust before adding toppings. Brush the top of the crust liberally with the olive oil mixture from step 1. Bake on pizza stone or non-stick pan for 8 minutes. 

4. Remove pan or stone from oven. Brush again with olive oil mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Using a spoon, dollop ricotta in small heaps evenly over surface of pizza. {I used huge dollops simply because I like ricotta, and it looked nice for pictures, but you would probably want smaller mounds than this}. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Return to oven and bake until cheese and crust are golden brown.

5. Remove from oven, sprinkle with chopped oregano. Cut and serve.

1 comment:

  1. oh wow this has got me hungry!

    http://wishuponasmile.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete