Saturday, June 16, 2012

fish tacos with chipotle slaw



Ever since the Gypsy Queen food truck came to Baltimore, I've been obsessed with their Mission Bay Fish Tacos. While I knew I wouldn't be able to fully recreate them, I wanted to make a simple, similar version for a summer dinner. I debated following one of the recipes I saw online, but opted instead to just wing it and come up with my own. I am so glad I did because they were absolutely delicious. I kept eating them until I felt sick. In fact, I grossly over-ordered a full pound of flounder for two people, so I continued to eat in an attempt to not waste. Anyways... they are really incredibly foolproof to make (especially since the slaw can be made ahead of time), and really worth a shot. Consecutive posts about margaritas and fish tacos means I'm probably still in Mexico mode, hanging on as long as I can to our vacation bliss.


Fish Tacos with Chipotle Slaw

12 oz. flounder, or other white fish
1 egg
1 cup panko
1/4 T. chipotle chili powder 

1/2 T. salt
Generous pinch fresh ground black pepper
Generous pinch seasoning salt
Peanut oil, to depth of 1/2" in pan, for frying
4 corn tortillas
1 package coleslaw cabbage mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2 T. minced garlic
1 chipotle pepper (from canned chipotles in adobo)
3/4 - 1 T. adobo sauce, to taste (from canned chipotles in adobo)
1/2 T. lime juice, reserving a small lime wedge

1. Make the slaw:  Add sour cream, mayonnaise, minced garlic, chipotle pepper and sauce, and lime juice to the bowl of a food processor, and blend until smooth. In a medium bowl, combine with coleslaw cabbage mix. Refrigerate while making fish.

2. Make the fish:  Heat peanut oil in pan over medium-high heat. Heat slowly until oil shimmers, but does not smoke or burn. Cut fish into small strips (similar to small chicken tenders... mmm). Set out two bowls for breading the fish. Whisk the egg in one bowl. Combine panko, chili powder, salt, pepper and seasoning salt in second bowl. Dip each piece of flounder first into the whisked egg, then cover all sides in the panko mixture and set aside. Fry fish, 4-5 pieces at a time in the oil for approximately 3 minutes. (I flipped the fish once during frying instead of using enough oil to submerge them fully). Transfer to paper towel lined plate, and cover with foil.

3. Assemble the tacos:  heat the corn tortillas in either a warmed oven or microwave. Spoon cold slaw mixture into taco shells, add 1-2 pieces of fish, and squirt with a few drops of lime juice.




No comments:

Post a Comment