Wednesday, November 23, 2011

heirloom pumpkin sugar cookies


I love making sugar cookies.Love it. The weird part is that I don't even like eating sugar cookies. I find icing to be sickly sweet, and just not my thing, so why do I like making them? Because everyone else absolutely loves them. Yeah, I'm tooting my own horn here. I truly believe people loving them has little to do with taste, and everything to do with appearance. You can use any cut-out cookie recipe and really any royal icing recipe, or cheat like me when strapped for time. I wanted to make heirloom pumpkins, because I love the varied shades of oranges, yellows, whites, and greens. Plus, it's way more fun to make all shapes and sizes too. I finally got a holiday post done in time for an actual holiday! Woo!







How did I make these totally "homemade" cookies? I cheated.


Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix
Betty Crocker Cookie Icing
Sweet Dani B Icing Bottle Set (so easy!)
Wilton Icing Colors Set

Prepare the cookie dough according to package directions for cut-out cookies, or if you're a better Susie-homemaker than me, make your own recipe. I used one pumpkin cookie cutter, then simply stretched and shaped the dough (with a knife, just pushing in the scalloped edges) to make many different pumpkins. Mix the pre-packaged icing with food coloring and a few drops of water, then transfer to the icing bottles.


The key to making more authentic pumpkin colors is to mix a drop of the complementary color. Use one drop of blue/teal/green to your orange icing mix. To make the green cupcakes, I used green food coloring plus 1 drop each of yellow and red.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment