Monday, July 9, 2012

lamb burgers with feta, pine nuts, and mint


Engagement to an Englishman means learning to love lamb. This was not a difficult task. I do love lamb. I couldn't decide whether to make these burgers in a "Mediterranean" style, or going with more of a spicy curry kick, so I did a bit of both and the result was amazing. A lot of feta, some pine nuts (because I'm obsessed), fresh mint from my newest farmer's market find, and just a little kick made for an awesome combo. The feta topping can be made ahead of time and refrigerated, and the only side you need is a simple salad, making this meal insanely easy to prepare at dinnertime. Please note that when debating what flavor of mint to buy, I found one called Mojito Cocktail. Sold.




Lamb Burgers with Feta, Mint, and Pine Nuts
Serving Size: 3 burgers
 
1 lb. ground lamb
1/3 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. curry powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
3 pitas, lightly toasted
Mixed greens or Romaine
1 cup crumbled feta
1/4 cup olive oil, plus 1 T.
3 T. toasted pine nuts
2.5 T. chopped fresh mint (you could use basil if mint isn't your favorite)
1/4 - 1/2 t. crushed red pepper (easier to mix into the topping than curry powder)


Directions:

Heat a non-stick skillet with 1 T. olive oil over medium-high heat. 

Gently combine ground lamb with cumin, curry, salt and pepper. Form three patties, with slight indentations in the centers of each burger (almost like a donut). Cook in heated skillet for 4-5 minutes per side, flipping only once.

While burgers cook, or ahead of time and refrigerated if you like, combine the last five ingredients in a bowl.

You don't have to toast the pitas if you're short on time, they'd still taste great, but I did. Stuff the pita with some lettuce, spoon feta mixture over lettuce, add a lamb patty... and spoon a little more feta mix on for good measure.

*Note: I actually added a scant 1/4 t. of ground allspice to my burger, but I know this isn't a spice people often have on hand, and I really don't think it made much of a difference at all. So I omitted it from the list.


1 comment:

  1. wow can't wait for you to move to Austin so I can invite myself to dinner.

    ReplyDelete