Monday, July 23, 2012

herb preservation


This idea is so genius in its simplicity that I'm not sure how I haven't thought of it before. I'm perpetually frustrated by the amount of produce that gets pushed to the back of the fridge, and subsequently into the garbage. Grocery stores are to blame (or so I tell myself), as they seem to only sell gigantic bundles of leafy greens that could almost never be used before their expiration. To preserve fresh herbs for later use, simply chop them up and add them to a muffin tin (I used miniature ones, but either size would work) with some olive oil and freeze. Once frozen, you can transfer the frozen disks to a labeled Ziploc. The next time you need a burst of flavor, simply add a disk or two to a saute pan and go right on cooking. Genius!




3 comments:

  1. That is such an awesome idea! I will definitely have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg this is brilliant ! I love it

    ReplyDelete