Thursday, July 26, 2012

grilled steak & gorgonzola pizza with balsamic reduction


This pizza was seriously amazing. I'm talking fancy-pants pizza perfection... or at least as close as my apartment kitchen can get. I mean, is there any possible way that this pairing of ingredients could go wrong? No. In fact, I could have probably just thrown bits of everything in a bowl and grabbed myself a giant spoon. But then I wouldn't have gotten to enjoy Adam's faces/noises/palpable delight as he devoured three quarters of our his pizza. 

Not only did the flavors blend beautifully, but the textures were equally amazing. Generous slices of steak with crisp blackened edges but tender warm centers, hot melted cheese with cooling chunks of Gorgonzola, leafy green arugula, and a drizzle of glaze had a party in my mouth, and I'm not even a little mad at the intrusion. This is one of my most proud Gingersnaps original recipes, and I would absolutely and resolutely demand every person make it tonight if I could. Do it!






Grilled Steak & Gorgonzola Pizza with Balsamic Glaze


Steak

   10 oz. New York strip steak
   Marinade, see below (optional but highly recommended; it was delicious)
   2 T. Olive oil

Pizza

   1/2 lb. pizza dough
   Flour (and cornmeal if available), for work surface
   Olive oil, for brushing crust
   1/2 cup shredded Fontina cheese
   1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
   1/2 - 3/4 cup Gorgonzola (I used closer to 3/4, but I love bleu cheese)
   Handful of arugula
  
Balsamic Reduction

   1 cup balsamic vinegar
   1 T. honey
   1/4 t. black pepper

Directions

1.  If using marinade, mix ingredients marinate steak in refrigerator that morning.
2.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bring balsamic vinegar to boil in small pan, then reduce heat to medium. Cook until vinegar is reduced by half. Stir in honey and pepper.
3.  Heat 2 T. olive oil in saute pan over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Remove from heat, tent with foil, and allow to rest while making pizza.
4.  Roll pizza dough to a thin crust on a floured work surface (add cornmeal if you have it). Brush with olive oil, transfer to cookie sheet or pizza stone, and bake in oven until slightly golden, about 10 minutes. 
5.  Remove crust from oven, sprinkle with Fontina and Parmesan. Add about half of the Gorgonzola in large chunks. Return to oven and bake until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted. Meanwhile, slice the steak.
6.  Remove from oven, add sliced steak, remaining chunks of Gorgonzola, and arugula. Drizzle with balsamic reduction and stuff your pretty little face.
  



My Favorite Steak Marinade

My favorite easy steak marinade is a 2:2:2:1:1 ratio (long enough for you?) of pantry ingredients. The measurements I used for the marinade are:

2 T. olive oil
2 T. balsamic vinegar
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 T. Dijon mustard
1 T. minced garlic





12 comments:

  1. Ok, this looks delicious, but your detailed description literally made my mouth water. You have a way with words, Jordan Bauman. Also, that steak looks like it was cooked to perfection! MmMmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh yummyy!!
    I just found your blog and I love it!
    check my blog if you want!

    http://xouxounitsa.blogspot.com

    xoxo from Greece

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you look at that – a quick kitchen recipe that combines my two favorite foods: pizza and steak! This looks really good. I’m definitely going to give this a try. You used New York strip steak, but would any steak do? I’m thinking of trying ribeye or t-bones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any kind of steak would absolutely work! It simply gets cooked to your liking and sliced thin enough to be "bite-size", so whatever you like or have on hand is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing and a must try! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so making this for dinner tonight! I will even put it on my menu for dandelion lane catering!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this last night, and it was TO DIE FOR.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there anyone here who knows caterers in new york that can make a bunch of this for a wedding? I love the grilled steak and wanted it to be part of the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  9. delish! all the things that my daughter and I love. Thanks for sharing this - found it on pinterest
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this tonight after finding it on Pinterest... I added a tiny bit of bacon & red onion slivers.... I LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Someone in Canada made this for me pretty much exactly as described above. He used a "Fig and Fire" Balsamic reduction. It was amazing. I recently had a friend bring a bottle of the reduction to me from Canada and I eagerly await the weekend!!

    ReplyDelete