Monday, October 17, 2011

sweet and spicy pizza


When I'm somehow completely uninspired by my insanely enormous saved recipe list, I've found the best place to turn to is a beloved restaurant's menu. Bagby Pizza is a local Baltimore restaurant that makes amazing specialty pizzas. This weekend, I chose to copy their Sweet and Spicy Pizza, described on the menu as:  spicy tomato sauce, spinach, roasted red peppers, red onion, applewood bacon, Asiago and goat cheeses with balsamic glaze. Umm, yum! By listing every ingredient, they're practically begging for imitations. If you make this pizza, I can guarantee that it will make you really freakin' happy. You can read the easy steps I went through to create this truly impressive copycat meal below.




Ingredients

1 lb. prepared pizza dough (I used Trader Joe's whole wheat)
Sweet and Spicy Pizza Sauce (or any spicy sauce, but this one is really nice)
6 oz. shaved Asiago cheese
4 oz. goat cheese (I found an amazing Honey Chevre at Trader Joe's)
5 slices applewood smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 full roasted red bell pepper, sliced thin
1/3 cup Balsamic vinegar
Handful of baby spinach


Prepare pizza dough and preheat oven according to dough package instructions.
Spread sauce over dough, and sprinkle evenly with Asiago, goat cheese, roasted red pepper strips, and fully cooked bacon.
Bake according to dough instructions. During baking, reduce 1/3 cup Balsamic vinegar until slightly thickened in a saute pan over medium heat. Avoid over-reducing. With 1-2 minutes left in baking time, sprinkle pizza with baby spinach and drizzle with Balsamic reduction.



2 comments:

  1. I'm liking the new fall look! And the pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so yummy now for the cold weather!
    kisses from stylemesteph

    ReplyDelete