Wednesday, October 26, 2011

chipotle turkey chili with pepper jack corncake toppers


This recipe belongs to an elite group of a few proud recipes that I make over and over again. Adapted from a Rachel Ray recipe, this little bowl of happiness is essentially a chili pot pie with a cheesy cornbread topping. The chili itself is really impressive, especially considering the ease of preparation and small ingredient list. Also, for those of you who actually manage to take care of yourselves, it's actually pretty healthy. Until you just smother it with cheesy cornbread, and when that's gone, add more cheesy cornbread. One important thing to note, is that I made some very important changes to the original. Crucial, actually. So if you want to follow the path to hearty, comfort food greatness and decide to make this chili, note my changes below.





Ch-ch-ch-changes:

1. Multiply this recipe by 1.5x. Not only is the math easy, but ground turkey is often sold in 3 pound value packs and it will yield enough leftovers or freezable portions to make your efforts worthwhile. Do not, however, alter the corn cake portion. One box is plenty.

2. The recipe calls for 2 cups of chicken stock. Do not use any. I repeat, none. It will turn out entirely too watery. Instead, rely on the beer and the juices from the stewed tomatoes. I mean, really, if choosing between stock and beer... well, you know.

3. Rachel's recipe doesn't specify the can size of kidney beans. When multiplying the recipe by 1.5x, I use two standard small size cans (14-15 oz.) of dark red beans.

4. I usually add an extra chipotle or so, but I also really love chipotle.

5. Turkey is bland. I like to generously season the ground turkey with salt and pepper before cooking.

Phew, I'm done now. But it's worth it!

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore your blog, I love cooking & you inspire me to do so! oxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you like it! If you ever try out any of the recipes, please let me know :) I'd love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this and it was a huge hit!! My corn toppers did not fit as perfectly into the bowls, but still delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Kristen! So glad it was a hit.. I knew it would be. Don't be fooled, haha, I definitely trimmed/stuffed/shoved those into the bowl to look like a good fit. My actual toppers went everywhere.

    ReplyDelete