Monday, January 13, 2014

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Smokey Honey Chipotle Aioli

 

I have a new obsession, and it's Brussels sprouts. No, seriously, it is. Previously, they were on a short list of foods that I found completely unpalatable and disgusting; but in a matter of about a month, that all has changed. It started when everyone swore to me that the Austin restaurant Uchiko's sprouts were the stuff of dreams. Salty Sow's too. And the Violet Crown. Safe to say I was skeptical at best, but have since tried and absolutely loved all three.

Since then, I've been craving them constantly and had to make some for myself. While I believe, like most foods, they're still best fried, they're also pretty damn tasty when roasted to crispy, blackened perfection. I decided to go the somewhat healthy route (it is January after all), and roasted away. The sprouts themselves are so tasty when charred at high heat, but this Smokey Honey Chipotle Aioli is out of this world. Try it, and I promise you'll be dipping everything into this magical little pot of sweet, smokey, and slightly spicy.

*Side note : Uchiko's are still the best, but these are pretty great.


Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Servings: 4 sides

1 lb. Brussels sprouts
1 T. Coconut oil, canola oil, or EVOO
Salt and pepper, to taste
  1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
  2. Cut Brussels sprouts into halves or quarters, depending on your preference. I like mine crispier, so I go with quarters.
  3. Toss cut sprouts with oil to evenly coat. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet, and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
  4. Roast at 500 degrees until sprouts begin to blacken. Watch them carefully. When they have reached desired level of blackness, immediately turn oven down to 350 degrees.
  5. Roast at 350 for an additional 5 minutes, or until sprouts are roasted throughout.

Smokey Honey Chipotle Aioli
Adapted from How Sweet Eats

1/3 c. light mayonnaise 1/2 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tablespoon honey
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 t. chipotle hot sauce (I used Tabasco)
1/2 t. lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon bourbon smoked paprika
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients. Preferably, allow to sit for at least one hour in the fridge for flavors to blend.

1 comment:

  1. I really have to try these! I keep hearing about them and they look so yummy

    ReplyDelete