Wednesday, October 17, 2012

pumpkin pie french toast with cinnamon-vanilla whipped cream


On a recent fall Sunday morning, as I lounged about the apartment sans Adam, who was visiting Austin, I decided to treat myself to something decadent and delicious. I dug through my pantry, and found that I had all of the ingredients for pumpkin pie, except for the crust. I had a nice loaf of French bread on hand, so I decided to make some pumpkin pie-flavored french toast. Since heavy cream lasts in the fridge for like 100 years, I decided to top it off with some flavored homemade whipped cream. And why not add some pecans while we're at it? This recipe was incredibly easy (no more difficult than normal French toast), and perfectly suited for an October morning... or November, or December, or whenever.




Pumpkin Pie French Toast
Serves 2

1 egg
1/4 cup half & half
2 T. canned pumpkin puree
1/4 t. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. cinnamon sugar
4 thick slices day-old bread
2 T. chopped pecans
Cinnamon-Vanilla Whipped Cream (recipe below)

Heat a lightly oiled skillet or griddle over medium heat. 
My stove actually works best just below medium, but it's always too hot.
Combine first six ingredients in a shallow bowl and whisk until blended.
Dip bread into egg and spice mixture on both sides, add to pan, and cook until light, golden brown: approximately 2-3 minutes per side.
Serve with chopped pecans and whipped cream.

Cinnamon-Vanilla Whipped Cream

1 cup heavy cream
1/8 cup sugar
3/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. vanilla

Combine all ingredients and beat with electric mixer until soft peaks form.

No comments:

Post a Comment