A while ago, I purchased Jamie Oliver's 20 minute meal iPhone app, and I have to say I was pretty disappointed. The directions are jumbled in such a way that makes mistakes inevitable. For instance, "cook pasta to package directions, allow pasta to cool" is an early step in the process, and only later do you learn "take reserved pasta cooking water..." which you clearly discarded of earlier. Ok, I'm ranting. I gave the app one last shot because I've always wanted to make a great Greek salad (one that Lauren would be happy to eat on drunken late nights with a heap of fries). This really was delicious and made me happy despite its lack of meat. I obviously made some changes, as usual, which I've included in the adapted recipe below.
Recipe adapted from Jamie Oliver (written more coherently than that silly Brit's version):
1 t. dried oregano
1/2 red onion
4 ripe Roma tomatoes
1 small handful chopped black olives
6 oz. feta cheese, crumbled in large chunks
1 head of romaine lettuce
1/2 small loaf Italian bread
Red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
1. Heat grill pan or skillet to medium heat. Cut or tear bread into 1" chunks and toast slowly until lightly charred.
2. Finely grate the lemon zest into a bowl, and squeeze in juice from one half.
3. Add the oregano to the lemon juice, then add 3x as much EVOO, plus a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
4. Finely slice the red onion, place in a separate bowl with a splash of red wine vinegar, salt and pepper.
5. Roughly chop the tomatoes and olives, add to the bowl with the onions.
6. Tear lettuce and place it in a large salad bowl. Add dressing, marinated onions, tomatoes, olives, and warm toasted bread; toss everything together and divide between two plates. Crumble feta over top and drizzle with EVOO.