Sunday, April 15, 2012

blackened tomatillo salsa verde


I wanted to title this post "the easiest, most infinitely adaptable, delicious salsa verde recipe ever" but that seemed just a tad over-the-top. Fortunately, I think including that description here gets the point across just the same. I found the recipe for this salsa tucked inside a Bobby Flay taco recipe. By the way, that taco recipe is money. It's absurdly delicious and crazy easy, much like the salsa itself. I've used this salsa on its own with some chips, inside Bobby's tacos, and for my own enchiladas; it has been amazing each time, each way. Bobby's version is pretty spicy, so I altered the ingredients and amounts to my liking.





Blackened Tomatillo Salsa Verde

12 tomatillos, husks removed
1/2 serrano
1 jalapeno
3/4 small red onion, coarsely chopped
6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
2 cups fresh cilantro
2 limes, juiced
3-4 T. honey

Blacken the tomatillos and peppers on a grill, or in a skillet on medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil and saute for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. 

Place tomatillos, peppers, onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice and honey in a blender or food processor and blend until desired consistency. Place mixture in saute pan, and bring to a simmer for 3-5 minutes.

Transfer to storage container, allow to cool and refrigerate.



No comments:

Post a Comment