Sunday, March 27, 2011

sausage and portobellos with sicilian pesto


Last night, I wanted to make something quick and easy so I could spend more of my night curled up on the couch with Adam relaxing. I wasn't expecting this recipe to "wow" me at all, but it actually did. The result was so savory and flavorful that I didn't even touch the salt or pepper, and me not adding salt is a pretty unheard-of event. I must say that the pasta I used was the real star of the dish:  fresh, handmade fettuccine from Whole Foods, which had a perfect hearty, almost doughy texture. I did make a few minor changes to the original recipe, noted in italics; my version is included below. I highly recommend this recipe for even the least confident cooks, any day of the week.




Sausage and Portobellos with Sicilian Pesto
4 servings

Ingredients:
2 packages (9 ounces each) refrigerated fettuccine or linguine
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 links spicy Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
1 red bell pepper, sliced
2 Portobello mushroom caps, sliced
1 10 oz. can diced Italian tomatoes
1 container (7 oz) refrigerated pesto with basil

1. Heat olive oil over medium, add sausage and cook for 3 minutes, breaking up the sausage as you stir. Add garlic and red bell peppers, cook for 3 minutes more. Add mushrooms to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring.
2. Add drained tomatoes and pesto. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Cook the pasta according to package directions. If using fresh pasta, start cooking during step 2. If using dried pasta, start cooking during step 1, drain and keep covered to retain warmth.


No comments:

Post a Comment