Monday, August 6, 2012

cold-brew iced coffee


Recently, I've been dabbling in the unfortunate vice of coffee-drinking before a long day of work. Being that it's summer, and the walk to work can get humid, I've been leaning toward the iced variety. I stumbled upon an article about the increasing popularity of cold-brewing coffee to make a rich concentrate, which can subsequently be used to make delicious homemade iced coffee for days. It was inexpensive to do, and I like a project, so I decided to give it a go. The result was a delicious, rich drink that gave me a morning boost for well over two weeks from a single (only $7) batch!




Cold Brew Iced Coffee

12 oz. light roast coffee beans, coarsely ground
8 cups water
Several large coffee filters
Fine mesh sieve
Milk, sugar, and flavoring, optional

Directions

Add ground coffee beans to a large bowl or pitcher, add 8 cups of water and stir.  Allow to sit, covered, at room temperature for at least 12 hours.

Place large coffee filter in a fine mesh sieve over the opening of a pitcher. Scoop liquid and ground beans into filter gradually, changing filters as needed when they become clogged with beans. The concentrate will keep in the fridge for 3 weeks.

Mix 1 part coffee concentrate with 1 part milk (or water, but I like milk), and serve over ice. Add sugar to taste, if desired. I also added vanilla syrup to each serving, because I like my coffee to basically be morning-dessert. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment