Monday, August 13, 2012

bloody maryland


I am feeling pretty clever right now, I must admit. This weekend, I was craving a good Bloody Mary to nurse myself out of bed, and decided that I really do prefer to make them myself. Why? So that I can throw as much crap into the glass as I want, and make it just right. So anyways, here's the clever part: why  has no one (to my knowledge) used the term Bloody Maryland to describe the way charm city does brunch? 

It seems to me that the overwhelming use of Old Bay to spice up this hangover-curing staple should be given it's own name. So, I turned to Google to search "Bloody Maryland", and all I found was a creepy TV show with poor 13-year old Alana who is "haunted by spirits wherever she goes". Poor Alana. Without further adieu, here's my new weekend favorite/necessity.



Bloody Maryland
Serves 4

3 cups tomato juice
12 oz. vodka (two shots per drink)
Juice of 1 lemon
Juice of 2 limes
1.5 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 T. fresh horseradish
4 t. Old Bay seasoning
2 t. hot sauce
1/2 t. pepper

Combine all ingredients in a pitcher and refrigerate at least one hour. When ready to serve, rim four glasses with Old Bay, and fill halfway with ice. Divide mix evenly between four glasses.


1 comment: