Smoked Salmon Rillettes
(adapted from Salt & Wind)
1 T. unsalted butter
1/4 c. minced shallots
1/3 cup diced fennel
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 t. grated lemon zest
1 T. finely chopped chives
1 T. finely chopped fennel leaves
2 T. creme fraiche
Crackers for serving
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a small pan. Add the shallots and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Sauté until the shallots are translucent and soft.
- Add the diced fennel to the pan and sauté briefly, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a small bowl, add shallot mixture, lemon juice and zest, herbs, chives, fennel leaves, and creme fraiche.
- Break the salmon into bite-sized pieces and fold into the mixture until just combined. Salt to taste.
- Store covered in refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.