Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Sprouting Broccoli and Edamame Salad with Curry and Toasted Coconut (and Brown Butter Scallops)



Yotam Ottolenghi is a vegetable magician. I so wish I were better at eating and enjoying veggies, but given that I grew up on lettuce with cheese, croutons, and Italian dressing as salad... I've come a long way.  If you're lucky enough to ever eat in one of Ottolenghi's restaurants, you'll find yourself eating plates of veggies and absolutely loving it. Nowhere else would I eat a sampling of salads without even looking at the entrees.

When I'm cooking from someone else's recipe, I almost always change some things. With his recipes, I only change based on necessity, not preference. I couldn't find curry leaves in Whole Foods or Central Market, so I had to improvise there. Also, I scaled the broccoli and green beans down a bit to fit dinner for two, and added some cress sprouts I've been growing in a bowl on my kitchen counter. But, I kept everything else the same, and this salad was fire. We topped it with some seared brown butter scallops for a super healthy, but flavorful dinner.


Sprouting Broccoli and Edamame Salad with Curry and Toasted Coconut
Adapted from Plenty More, by Yotam Ottolenghi
Serves 2 Entrees with some leftovers, or 4 side dishes

Ingredients
  • 8.5 oz broccolini, preferably young and sprouting, stems sliced thinner or removed
  • 5 oz haricots verts, trimmed
  • 1 1/3 cups shelled frozen edamame, thawed
  • 4 T. olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 2.5 t. black mustard seeds
  • 1 t. curry powder
  • 1/2 t. Za'atar
  • 3 whole dried red chiles
  • Shaved rind of 1 lime, plus 1.5 T. juice
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut  
  • Handful of sprouts (I used cress), optional
  • Salt and pepper
If serving with scallops
  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 3/4 lb. fresh scallops 
  • 4 T. butter

Directions

  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the haricots verts and blanch for 1 minute. Add the broccolini and blanch 3 minutes more. Transfer the veggies to a colander and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Pat dry and set aside in a large serving bowl.
  2. Add the edamame and 1/2 t. of salt to the broccoli and beans.
  3. In a dry sauté pan over medium heat, toast the coconut until edges are golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside. Wipe the pan out and use the same pan for the next step. 
  4. Heat 4 T. of olive oil in the sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and 1/4 t. salt, cook for 4 minutes until the onions are soft. Add the mustard seed and cook until the seeds begin to pop.
  5. Add the curry powder, Za'atar, chiles, and lime rind. Saute for 2 minutes before pouring everything over the vegetables. Stir and set aside.
  6. When ready to serve, add the lime juice, cilantro, toasted coconut, and sprouts. Toss and season with salt and pepper to taste. 
For the scallops
  1. Pat the scallops dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  2. Heat 1 T. olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the scallops and cook without turning until golden brown on first side, about 90 seconds. Turn the scallops and add the butter to the pan. Cook until butter starts turning brown (will smell nutty) and the scallops are just cooked, about another 2 minutes.
  3. Serve atop the finished salad.

1 comment:

  1. My doctor had recommended me to eat broccoli for cleansing internal organs and as a source of some clean energy. This post has provided me with a recipe to enjoy broccoli with new taste.

    ReplyDelete