Sunday, July 16, 2017

Chipotle, Brown Sugar Bacon, and Goat Cheese Guacamole



You guys... it's nearly impossible for me to believe that there was a time that I hated guacamole. In fact, as I've mentioned before, I hated avocados entirely. Don't worry, I've come to my senses and come around to both like a good Texan. I still, however, don't like the guac at a lot of restaurants, and I quickly realized the reason was because they're so terribly lacking salt and citrus. Now when I make my own, I know to not be shy with either.


And then, well, I trash it up nice and good too... previously copying the Austin restaurant Z'Tejas with cotija and pepitas (still my fav), and more recently with this new twist. First, I wanted to add one of my favorite flavors: chipotle. Then, tangy goat cheese and crispy bacon. I knew both the goat cheese and chipotles would pair perfectly with a little bit of sweetness, so I candied the bacon with a dusting of brown sugar. This guac is seriously to die for, and is definitely not under-seasoned.




Chipotle, Brown Sugar Bacon, and Goat Cheese Guacamole


Ingredients 

  • 2 large Haas avocados, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 Roma tomato, chopped
  • 1 - 2 T. minced shallot, to taste
  • 1 - 2 T. chopped cilantro, to taste
  • 1 - 2 T. diced chipotles, from canned chipotles in adobo
  • Dash of fresh lime juice
  • Generous pinch each of sea salt and pepper
  • 3 pieces thick-cut bacon
  • 1 T. brown sugar
  • 2-3 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
Directions
  1. Rub pieces of raw bacon with brown sugar until thinly coated (may not use full tablespoon). Cook in a skillet over medium heat, then allow to cool and crumble the pieces.
  2. Stir and slightly mash the avocados, tomato, cilantro, chipotles, and lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Top the guacamole with crumbled bacon, goat cheese, and extra cilantro for garnish, if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment