Monday, September 29, 2014

Thai Curry Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup



I have a new love in my life; it's actually bordering on an obsession. It's my new Vitamix. I spent the longest time harboring a lingering curiosity about what could possibly warrant the outrageous cost of a blender, but I finally bit the bullet after doing a lot of research on everything this mighty little machine can do. Soups, smoothies, nut butters, nut milk, frappe coffees... and on and on and on. I was so excited to make my first soup that I actually had the ingredients ready and waiting for when UPS made their delivery. Needless to say, you'll be seeing a lot of crap thrown into a blender in the near future.

I've had a Thai curry twist on butternut squash soup before, but as I see myself making that a lot in the future, and sweet potatoes are perfectly in season, I decided to switch it up just a bit. This soup is crazy easy to make (even with a normal blender, I dare say), and was crazy delicious. Like, a new favorite delicious. It's spicy and sweet and rich and velvety... in other words, make a lot because it will go fast.

Me committing a crime against the rooster by using anything but real Sriracha. At least it's Trader Joe's though.


Thai Curry Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup

Ingredients

1 T. coconut oil
1 cup sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 jalapeno, chopped with seeds removed
3.5 T. Thai masaman curry paste (can also use red or panang curry paste)
1 large sweet potato (the bigger the better, or two mediums of course), peeled and chopped
3 cups low sodium chicken broth, divided
14 oz. can of coconut milk
1/2 t. salt
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
Cilantro for garnish, if desired
Sriracha for garnish, if desired

Directions

  1. Heat oil in a large saucepan (one that has a lid) over medium heat. 
  2. Add the chopped onion and sauté until it begins to soften. Add curry paste and stir to coat onions.
  3. Add garlic and jalapeno, sauté for about a minute. 
  4. Add sweet potato, 2.5 cups of broth, the coconut milk, and salt. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
  5. Add the soup to your blender (bit by bit if using a normal blender, all at once with Vitamix). Add the peanut butter and blend until smooth. Test the soup for texture, and blend in remaining broth if desired.
  6. Garnish with cilantro and Sriracha.


No comments:

Post a Comment