Tuesday, October 28, 2014

PCH Road Trip Day 4 {Monterey, Pebble Beach, Carmel, Point Lobos}



Day four was by far the most action-packed one of our trip. I knew the itinerary was a lot to take in for one day, but after three travel-free days in the bay area I knew we'd be up for some adventure. We left San Francisco early in the morning, hit Highway 1 as soon as possible, and started traveling the coast. We had a few quick pull-off stops, all of which proved to be fun breaks, and several places were hours just weren't enough. The highlight for me was Point Lobos State Reserve, which landscape painter Francis McComas described as "the greatest meeting of land and water in the world". While I'm not sure that's true, it was truly fantastic. This day was a whirlwind, but one that I'll never forget.

Pigeon Point Lighthouse Hostel - this is actually a real hostel just south of SF that you can stay in, which is pretty adorable. We didn't, but it's just a quick stop along the highway for a picture. The skies on this morning made the whole scene look isolated and moody.
Natural Bridges State Park - a nice stopping point about 1:45 outside of downtown San Francisco. We stretched our legs and took a nice (cold) breezy walk along the coast.
Natural Bridges State Park
Monterey - we stopped for a seafood lunch and a walk around Monterey's Fisherman's Wharf.  It was definitely touristy, but had a fun, slightly cheesy beach-town feel that was different from any other stop on our trip.
Random acts of pastel.
View from the wharf in Monterey
After lunch, we drove to the nearby entry gate for the 17 Mile Drive at Pebble Beach. There was so much to see around Pebble Beach, and this drive was a really fun and beautiful part of the trip. All in all, we spent about an hour doing the drive.
The Lone Cypress at Pebble Beach

Adam getting an even higher than normal vantage point. We left through the gate through Carmel to Highway 1, so we got to spend a bit of time in the most charming town ever: Carmel.  I didn't take any pictures here, but it's definitely a worthwhile stopping point to see this adorable place.
We then drove on to Point Lobos State Reserve; this was by far the best surprise of our entire trip.  I didn't have any expectations for this stop, but we were both totally blown away by its beauty.  This is Whaler's Cove, the first stop after entering the park; we sat in this exact area for what seemed like hours just taking it all in.
Just dressing like some kind of forest nymph.  {Dress: Free People}
Ugh, take me back.
Have you ever seen a more hipster photo in your life? I doubt it. This was intended to be a photo of Adam but when I zoomed in, I couldn't help myself. #soartsy #notactuallyartsy

More beauty around Point Lobos. There was so much to see in this park, and I have about 1000 more pictures, but I'll spare you at least a little bit.
We popped back out onto Highway 1 and headed for the famous Bixby Bridge.  The first picture on this post is one of my favorites, and you can see just a hint of the bridge, but here's a closer shot. From Bixby Bridge, it was over an hour drive to our lodging at Treebones resort. This drive went through Big Sur, and past many of the sites that prompted this trip to begin with, including McWay Falls and Pfeiffer Beach. Ideally, we would have had plenty of time at these places on this day, but instead we went to Treebones and backtracked just a big during our full day in the Big Sur area.
...that being said, we did stop at McWay falls on the way to Treebones for a few minutes, for the sole reason that I wanted to make sure I got to see it twice; more on that next time.





5 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! I especially love the one of your reflection in the sunglasses & Bixby Bridge! I was on my way up the coast over the summer to get to Big Sur, but my friend (who was driving) had car trouble & we had to cancel! This inspires me to try again soon ;)

    xo, B
    www.BKCsquared.com

    ReplyDelete