Adam and I are fortunate/unfortunate enough to have one of our favorite Austin restaurants literally next door to our apartment. It's a dangerous location to be sure, but ultimately our close proximity to Z'Tejas is pretty great. Try as I might, I am just not an avocado fan at all (gasps from everyone who just cannot believe this, and yes that does include guacamole); however, Z'Tejas has made me realize that I can love guac, as long as it's doctored to my liking.
Their tableside guacamole is full of flavorful ingredients that are mixed fresh for you right at your table. The most important feature of this unbelievable dish is the addition of toppings: chipotle Tabasco, Cotija cheese, and pepitas. Yes, yes, and yes. Typical guac, in my opinion, is seriously lacking in flavor. After experimenting with replicating this version, I've realized that for me the inclusion of sea salt is an absolute must, and that hot sauce never hurts the cause either. This appetizer is now a staple in our house, especially when entertaining.
Z'Tejas Tableside Guacamole
Ingredients for basic guacamole:
- 2 large Haas avocados, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- 1 - 2 T. diced red onion, to taste
- 1 - 2 T. chopped cilantro, to taste
- 1 - 2 T. diced jalapeño, to taste
- Dash of fresh lime juice
- Generous pinch each of sea salt and pepper
- Roasted, salted pepitas
- Cotija cheese, crumbled
- Chipotle Tabasco
- Cilantro garnish
- Combine all ingredients for basic guacamole in a medium bowl. Stir to combine, until desired consistency of avocado is achieved. This may be left chunky and just combined, or mixed to be more smooth.
- Transfer guacomole to clean bowl for serving, if desired. Top with crumbled cheese, pepitas, and chipotle Tabasco. Garnish with extra cilantro leaves.